Ottawa-Gatineau is Canada’s Cyber Cluster
The sector ecosystem is supported by the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security (CCCS), part of the Federal Government’s Communications Security Establishment (CSE). Other departments and agencies
supporting the cybersecurity sector include, Public Safety, CSIS, the RCMP, and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED).
With North America’s highest concentration of tech talent, cyber companies in Ottawa take advantage of a growing pipeline of highly skilled workers. Our world-class post-secondary institutes educate more than 130,000 students each year, of which a growing number study science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). Canada’s National Capital Region is building the next-generation of cyber talent. These R&D centres play a crucial role in complementing commercially deployable research to locally-based companies like Blackberry’s QNX, Nokia, Cisco, and Ciena which invest in R&D, grow the talent pool, and attract investment.
Why Ottawa is the ideal location for cybersecurity leaders:
- 90% of Canada’s industrial telecommunications research takes place in Ottawa
- Ottawa is one of North America’s top 10 tech talent markets (CBRE 2021)
- Home to 65 federal research labs, including four which directly support the communications technology sector
- Home to Canada’s only SaaS-based accelerator (L-Spark) and Canada’s largest tech park (Kanata North)
- Ranked as the most affordable, major city in North America, Ottawa offers a robust technology ecosystem with low overall living costs